Thursday, August 23, 2007

Speed Record Broken!

Currently listening to: Styx - Come Sail Away

Since I've moved to the other side of town I have developed a new set of bike routes. I hate riding through Clinton because there's always construction or the evidence of previous construction going on and has caused me many popped tires.

One of my new favorites is one that takes me on 62N into the edge of Leominster, through Lancaster and Sterling, and then back down 70S to my condo. Part of this route includes a brutal climb up Legate Hill Rd. in Sterling. It's horrible. When I told my sis that I ride up it, she couldn't believe it. It's that steep and it's a long way up (It's actually a two-stage hill to boot, just to drive you nuts when you think that you've finally made it, you get kicked in the butt again).

However, as most hills do, this puppy goes down just as steeply on the other side. And it's one slope, not two medium ones like the way up. Previously, my fastest descent was 42mph on a hill in Berlin. As I raced down the other night, I saw my speedometer grace 43mph. I smiled, and tucked down lower. I then watched it climb up to 44, 45, and cap at 46mph.

I don't know if you've ever gone that fast on a road bike, but if you haven't, you should try it. It was intense. From what I can remember, I didn't pedal for a short stretch at the top as I was trying to settle into a tight tuck, and I could have also lowered myself a little more earlier on. I'm going to try it again on Sunday and see if these little additions will help me break the 50mph point.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home